httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Devers <cdev...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: errors installing libapreq
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:26:03 GMT
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Chris Devers <cdevers@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > The second half of the libapreq install asks me to do the following:
> >
> >     $ /sw/bin/perl Makefile.PL -apxs /usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs
> >     $ make
> >     $ make test
> >
> > And that's where everything explodes:
> >
> >     $ make test
> >     /sw/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib \
> >     t/TEST -clean
> >     *** setting ulimit to allow core files
> >     ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -clean
> >     APXS (/usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs) query for SYSCONFDIR failed
>
> That error is new to me...

Yeah, that one was weird. I also got variants such as (from memory):

    APXS (/usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs) query for LIBEXECDIR failed

&c. I was able to get the others to all go away via liberal use of
environment variables, but this one wouldn't budge. *shrug*

> >     APACHE_USER=www APACHE_GROUP=www APACHE_PORT= APACHE= APXS= \
>                                                                  ^^^
>
> also Apache::Test isn't picking up your APXS setting.
> As a random guess, try using
>
>   % perl Makefile.PL -httpd /usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd
>   % make test
>
> and see if that works.  Otherwise, the INSTALL document
> recommends using environment settings for APXS or APACHE
> instead of the command-line argument.

I was trying to keep my mail relatively short, but I guess that was at the
price of clarity. I've tried each of

   % perl Makefile.PL \
   > && make test

   % perl Makefile.PL \
   > -httpd /usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd \
   > && make test

   % perl Makefile.PL \
   > -httpd /usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd \
   > -apxs  /usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs \
   > && make test

   % perl Makefile.PL \
   > -apxs  /usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs \
   > && make test

None got any further than what I reported earlier.

Actually, that's a slight lie -- the version you suggested fails with an
error about LoadModule being unavailable, which makes sense because I
hadn't enabled that in the custom Apache build:

    % make test
    /sw/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib \
    t/TEST -clean
    *** setting ulimit to allow core files
    ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -clean
    APACHE_USER= APACHE_GROUP= APACHE_PORT= APACHE= APXS= \
    /sw/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib \
    t/TEST -verbose=0
    *** setting ulimit to allow core files
    ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -verbose=0
    /usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd -X -d /Users/cdevers/.cpan/build/libapreq-1.2/t -f /Users/cdevers/.cpan/build/libapreq-1.2/t/conf/httpd.conf
-DAPACHE1
    using Apache/1.3.27

    waiting for server to start: .Syntax error on line 11 of /Users/cdevers/.cpan/build/libapreq-1.2/t/conf/httpd.conf:
    Invalid command 'LoadModule', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included
in the server configuration
    waiting for server to start: giving up after 61 secs
    !!! server failed to start! (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start the server in the
debug mode)
    make: *** [run_tests] Error 1

I'm not against rebuilding Apache & mod_perl to enable this, but it looks
like a diversion from the current problem. I think...

> > If this person's problem was resolved, it seems to have happened offline:
> > I don't see any conclusion from him/her, just a handful of suggestions
> > that might or might not have helped him. Based on a suggestion Randy Kobes
> > gave in that thread, I tried giving Makefile.PL the httpd binary, as:
> >
> >     % /sw/bin/perl Makefile.PL \
> >     > -apxs /usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs \
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Have you tried dropping this argument?

Yeah, as noted above, I've tried several variants of that line, and aside
from the one noted above, they all end about the same way.

> >     > -httpd /usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd
>
> > So. libapreq fails on make test, when running against Fink's Perl5.8, a
> > hand-rolled Apache 1.3.27 / mod_perl 1.27 combo running on OSX 10.2.6.
> >
> > In a nutshell.
>
> Is mod_so compiled into your httpd?  It isn't a requirement for
> libapreq, but that may cause the "-apxs" argument to do unhelpful
> things to the test suite.

It's not, and maybe that's relevant.

For lack of a better idea, maybe I should rebuild Apache/mod_perl with
that module turned on, then see what libapreq does.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Chris Devers    cdevers@boston.com

reusability, n.
A marketing priority overriding that of usability.
See also OBJECT ORIENTEETING.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995