httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-apreq-2/glue/perl/t/response/TestApReq inherit.pm request.pm
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 06:17:24 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>Not to you. But users may try to run these as is, without using
>>$^X. I've pointed it out for this reason, just trying to minimize
>>support pains.
>

> If the shebang line is omitted, how will the users run the tests?
> The files in question don't even have an executable bit set.

That's *exactly* my point. They shouldn't do that. If they have more than one
perl on their system, and they have built apreq with non-/usr/bin/perl and
they run the tests with it, all kind weird errors will happen at best.

Users should either run 'make test' or 't/TEST' and pass the test files as
arguments if they want to run specific tests only. This is explained here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Individual_Testing

> I appreciate the support concern, and since I seem to be alone
> in my position, I'll concede that the shebang line should be
> taken out of the tests, but AFAICT there is no technical advantage
> on either side of this debate.

Technical, no. Confusion-wise, yes. The less guns you give to your users, the
less the chance that they will shoot themselves ;)