httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: [win32] Makefile.PL fixes
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 07:11:21 GMT
On Fri, 2 May 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:

[ .. ]
> But why do you still need to do unix-ify the path?
>
> +  $apache = Win32::GetShortPathName($apache);
> +  $apache =~ s!\\!/!g;
>
> Repeating my previous questions:
>
>    why won't \\ work? Does it work if you do:
>    perl Makefile.PL -httpd C:\\path\\to\\apache

I did that more from force of habit :)
     perl Makefile.PL -httpd C:\\path\\to\\apache
does work, so probably the s!\\!/!g isn't needed in this case. I
tend to do this more for the future - knowing the binary is
specified right off in a particular manner saves potential
fiddling with it later on (perhaps in other packages), where, eg,
the '\' might be interpreted as escapes within " ". The same
thing goes with using ShortPathName, as the long directory names
with spaces tend to confuse things.

> My guinea pig is Apache::Peek I have already written a set of
> useful functions for a consistent API between user environment
> and developers. See Apache-Peek-0.01/Makefile.PL. I'm planning
> to move them all to a separate package, bundle with both
> mod_perls and have it separately on CPAN.

That'd be really cool - they look great ...

--
best regards,
randy