httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: libapreq-1.2 release candidate
Date Mon, 05 May 2003 23:48:20 GMT
That's become a long thread from what seemed to be a simple question ;)

David Wheeler wrote:
> On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 05:07  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Thanks David, please check if the patch below plus the usual
>> s/Apache::Test;/Apache::TestLoad;/ does the job.
>

> Bingo, that's it.

Thanks David!

>> But Apache::TestLoad does just this: load the suite it doesn't really
>> do anything.
>>
>> I agree that Apache::Tester is a nice replacement for Apache::Test to
>> eliminate the whole collision problem without using the TestLoad
>> trickery.
>> If that's the case we need to eliminate Apache::Test completely and
>> rename it and the package with Apache::Tester. And hopefully convince
>> Andreas to remove any traces of Apache::Test from CPAN. It'll also
>> require messing with cvs repositories.
>

> I think that module authors can remove their own modules using pause. I
> do this to clean out older versions of my modules.

Yes, you can but there is backcpan which keep all the deleted ones. And there
is also the issue with the namespace, but this is all resolvable.

> And CVS repositories,
> well, that _can_ be easy if you can get someone to move files around in
> the repository for you. Otherwise, if you just remove Test.pm and add
> Test.pm, you'll just lose the commit history.

Yup.

> Another option is to go with Test::Apache, since it's more like a
> Test::Builder sort of thing than Apache::test ever was.

Well, it's nice to keep all the Apache:: functionaly in the same namespace.
Test::Foo seems be a more generic thing.

> Anyway, TestLoad will work if you want to keep Test.

Great, I just wanted to have a few solutions to consider. Now we can ask for
comments on the dev list and see what's the favorite solution for those who
use it.

> Well done on this, BTW. I especially like that I can actually run tests
> as an unprivileged user, something that I had trouble getting
> Apache::test to do. I'll have to port the test suite in
> MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbacks to your new testing module.

Fantastic.

BTW, Apache::Test was developed mostly by Doug, so 99% of the credits should
go to him ;) I just released it on CPAN and maintaining it since Doug is busy
with other things and we wanted this module to have its separate life.