httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [rfc] a few milestones (was Re: Updating the Website?)
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2003 06:16:36 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:

[...]

> > The next one is within easy reach:
> >   2) a basic test framework
> >      a) simple unit tests for libapreq.so (the core).
> >      b) simple Apache::Test tests for mod_apreq.
> > 2a is already done (in t/), while 2b needs more work.  I already laid the
> > foundation for 2b in glue/perl/.
> > Perhaps some of us perl guys can finish that part off while working towards
>
> Are you talking about applying the XP principles: write tests before
> you code? If not won't 3 be a prerequisite for 2b?

Personally I think writing tests ASAP is a good idea,
but I'm not dogmatic about it.  What I really mean is
something a bit more pragmatic: right now there's a c-module
test in glue/perl that runs perfectly on my box.  However,
to get it to run I have to do all this:

  % cd httpd-apreq-2
  % ./buildconf && configure --enable-maintainer-mode --with-apache2-apxs=...
  % make && make test
  % make install
  % cd glue/perl
  % perl Makefile.PL -apxs ...
  % make test

At the very least, I'd like to avoid having to install
mod_apreq && libapreq.so prior to running the Apache::Test
test in glue/perl.

> >   3) Functional APREQ:: packages (perl glue for libapreq).
>
> It all depends on how rich is the API that we expose to Perl.
> If it's quite rick we probably better go with:
> http://search.cpan.org/author/GRICHTER/ExtUtils-XSBuilder-0.23/
> which is a generalized port of mod_perl 2.0's WrapXS.

I've been looking over the modperl XS code recently, and
the WrapXS stuff looks really neat.  In any case we'll need
to reuse some of the APR typemaps from modperl-2 in order to
wrap libapreq.

[...]

> >   4) Apache::Request / Apache::Cookie ports using
> >      the APREQ:: modules.
>
> I suppose that 3 should be completed first, before 4 can be done.

Yeah, but I think 3 + 4 will pretty much happen simultaneously.
The hard part will be getting the .xs files working, and
I'm expecting those to all be APREQ:: packages.  Apache::Request
and Apache::Cookie will probably turn out to just be (tiny) .pm
files.

--
Joe Schaefer