httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>
Subject Re: libapreq-1.2 release candidate
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 02:01:51 GMT
On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 08:55  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

> You don't load Apache::Test, you just do:
>
>   *Apache::Test:: = *Apache::TestFoo::
>
> and this is only for backward compatibility

You're going to make all module authors do that?

> I'm thinking whether it's possible to still keep the Apache::Test name.

Yeah, and I know it would be a PITA to change it now, too. Sorry I
hadn't noticed this before. :-(

>> I could also file a perl bug report on this, though it may well be a
>> known issue. I see that other Unix tools don't appear to have this
>> problem:
>> mercury# find . -name "Test.pm"
>> ./5.8.0/Test.pm
>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Apache/Test.pm
>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Devel/Profiler/Test.pm
>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/HTTP/WebTest/Test.pm
>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/SOAP/Test.pm
>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/XMLRPC/Test.pm
>> mercury# find . -name "test.pm"
>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/darwin/Apache/test.pm
>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/Mailer/test.pm
>
> There is no problem here, because all live in different parent
> namespaces. e.g. SOAP/Test.pm doesn't collide with XMLRPC/Test.pm

No, the point is that when I told `find` to search for "test.pm" it
didn't find any "Test.pm" files, and when I told it to search for
"Test.pm" it didn't find any "test.pm" files. So it pays attention to
the case you tell it to look for when it searches the file system.
Theoretically, Perl can do this, too, at least on case-insensitive file
systems that are also case-preserving.

But it would likely be a long time before everyone had such a patched
Perl.

David

                                                Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org