httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: libapreq-1.2 release candidate
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 02:10:46 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 08:55  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> You don't load Apache::Test, you just do:
>>
>>   *Apache::Test:: = *Apache::TestFoo::
>>
>> and this is only for backward compatibility
>

> You're going to make all module authors do that?

No, Apache/TestFoo.pm will do that.

>> I'm thinking whether it's possible to still keep the Apache::Test name.
>

> Yeah, and I know it would be a PITA to change it now, too. Sorry I
> hadn't noticed this before. :-(

No reason to be sorry, it's still a good timing, since hardly anybody released
their packages using Apache::Test on CPAN.

>>> I could also file a perl bug report on this, though it may well be a
>>> known issue. I see that other Unix tools don't appear to have this
>>> problem:
>>> mercury# find . -name "Test.pm"
>>> ./5.8.0/Test.pm
>>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Apache/Test.pm
>>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Devel/Profiler/Test.pm
>>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/HTTP/WebTest/Test.pm
>>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/SOAP/Test.pm
>>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/XMLRPC/Test.pm
>>> mercury# find . -name "test.pm"
>>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/darwin/Apache/test.pm
>>> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/Mailer/test.pm
>>

>> There is no problem here, because all live in different parent
>> namespaces. e.g. SOAP/Test.pm doesn't collide with XMLRPC/Test.pm
>

> No, the point is that when I told `find` to search for "test.pm" it
> didn't find any "Test.pm" files, and when I told it to search for
> "Test.pm" it didn't find any "test.pm" files. So it pays attention to
> the case you tell it to look for when it searches the file system.
> Theoretically, Perl can do this, too, at least on case-insensitive file
> systems that are also case-preserving.

Ah, that's cool. Care to ask this question at p5p? If there is some pragma
that can solve that, that'll be the end of the story.

> But it would likely be a long time before everyone had such a patched Perl.

That's for sure.