httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: libapreq-1.2 release candidate
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 01:55:08 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 08:36  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> OK, so in order to preserve the backwards functionality we need to
>> have Apache::TestFoo, and alias *Apache::Test:: = *Apache::TestFoo::
>> So you 'require Apache::TestFoo', but you really get Apache::Test if
>> you use it.
>

> How do you prevent Apache::TestFoo from loading Apache::test?

You don't load Apache::Test, you just do:

   *Apache::Test:: = *Apache::TestFoo::

and this is only for backward compatibility

I'm thinking whether it's possible to still keep the Apache::Test name.

>> What name should we use instead of Apache::Test? Apache::TestAny?
>

> Sure.
>
> I could also file a perl bug report on this, though it may well be a
> known issue. I see that other Unix tools don't appear to have this problem:
>
> mercury# find . -name "Test.pm"
> ./5.8.0/Test.pm
> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Apache/Test.pm
> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Devel/Profiler/Test.pm
> ./site_perl/5.8.0/HTTP/WebTest/Test.pm
> ./site_perl/5.8.0/SOAP/Test.pm
> ./site_perl/5.8.0/XMLRPC/Test.pm
> mercury# find . -name "test.pm"
> ./site_perl/5.8.0/darwin/Apache/test.pm
> ./site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/Mailer/test.pm

There is no problem here, because all live in different parent namespaces.
e.g. SOAP/Test.pm doesn't collide with XMLRPC/Test.pm