httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [win32] Locations in Apache-Test framework
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 05:18:52 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2003, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>

>>I'd bet apache is just returning a 403 for security purposes,
>>since ':' is what separates the drive letter from the file path
>>on Windows. Superman^H^H^H^H^H^HWilliam Rowe probably knows the
>>full answer, so you might want to take this issue up on
>>dev@httpd.
>

> That looks like it's probably it - there's some discussions in
> the httpd-dev list that were along these lines. Further to this,
> a location like
>    <Location /hello/hell::o>
>    </Location>
> does work - what might be happening is Win32 Apache is rejecting,
> via the 403, anything that looks like a leading drive
> designation, for security purposes.

Hmm, is this valid at all on winFU to supply a drive: entry in the URI path? I
wonder why Apache can't reject paths with : in the first segment only if
virtual mapping have failed.

> So it's probably easier to just s!::!-! or s!::!/!, as
> Stas proposed ...

I think that even though <Location Foo/Bar> is more intuitive,
<Location Foo-Bar> is less error-prone.

I think <Location Foo/Bar> is potentially error-prone, since if one of the
test package is 'Foo' we will have a location <Location Foo> and then we will
get merging with <Location Foo/Bar> something that could be undesired.