httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: apreq-2 uploads as bucket brigades?
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:40:23 GMT
"Issac Goldstand" <margol@beamartyr.net> writes:

> OK, but...
> Why not do both?  Eg, provide access via bucket brigades
> and also keep the spooled files for more natural seek()ing
> (,etc)?

Performance is one reason.  If we don't *need* apreq to use
the OS's filesystem for spooling, we shouldn't.  We can leave
that up to the application, but we could make it easy for them
to pretend uploads are always files by providing things like

  apreq_upload_link(apreq_upload_t *upload)
  apreq_upload_seek(apreq_upload_t *upload)

instead of just handing them a *FILE pointer to play with.

IOW, generate the upload structs from the underlying
brigade, and let that struct be responsible for
emulating whatever additional file-type APIs we need.

Of course the upload_hook API will also need to change,
since the hooks would be responsible for generating the
bucket brigade.  upload_hooks should be using the
bucket brigade api, *not* our apreq_upload api.  The
hooks are really parser extensions, so they should be
stream-oriented anyways.

--
Joe Schaefer