httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: apreq-2 layout
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 05:18:33 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:

[...]

> > The global struct should only get populated once, at process startup,
> > and then remain unchanged (the attributes are all function pointers).
> > Threading shouldn't be a problem here, should it?
>
> what happens if two threads both startup at the same time?

Threads are subsidiary to processes, right?  By the time threads
start showing up, the struct should have already been completely
filled in.

I don't envision a situation where two threads, running within the
same process space, should try running apreq-2 under two different
"environments".  Remember, different environments represent
different application interfaces for apreq-2: one environment for
httpd-2.0, one for httpd-2.2, one for apache-1.3, one for CGI on *nix,
etc.

> Also will this work with two sub-system using it in the same process,
> where each assigns a different value to it?

It's not designed for such uses;  hopefully I've now explained why.

> Why not using an accessor method to retrieve a copy of the struct?

We could do that, but right now I don't see the need for it.

--
Joe Schaefer