httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: cvs tagged as v1_1 (was Re: 1.1_rc4)
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2003 01:48:42 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>I don't see any reason why not to create a whole new rep, like all
>>other projects do. Unless you plan to have this one only temporary
>>till the destiny of apreq2 is cleared up.
>

> That's my plan: to make apreq-2/ (for now) a *temporary*
> location for apreq-2 development.  The directory structure I
> have in mind looks something like this:
>
>   apreq-2/
>
>         httpd/       (server support for apreq-2)
>
>         c/           (libapreq-2.X.X  ???)
>         perl/        (stuff that should be in mod_perl-2)

It'll be in mod_perl-2.0 *only* if apreq becomes a part of the core,
which I'm afraid won't happen. You can't do much if you aren't one of
them, so I've tried to "bribe" a few of them but in vain and I think
it's the best to forget about this option, move the project on as a
standalone one and provide the perl glue internally just like 1.0 did.

The building code can be rewritten to find httpd-2.0 and build after
httpd-2.0 has been built and optionally installed. It's definitely a bad
idea to keep apreq-2.0 as a patch to httpd-2.0 any longer.

>         tcl/         (...)
>         php/
>         python/
>         java/

+1 on the layout. An alternative layout could be:

core/
glue/
     perl
     php

because /c/ is really a core. and putting all languages extensions in
one dir will make it easy to 'make all' to build all extensions... just
an idea.

> The apreq-2 directory shouldn't have a Makefile.PL
> to worry about, and I don't plan to put anything
> into any of the "language" directories right now;
> just in httpd/.

But there is a problem with not doing that. If you distribute the
package on CPAN you need Makefile.PL to be in the top tree.

>>Also would be nice to have the name consistent with httpd-2.0,
>>modperl-2.0... => apreq-2.0.
>

> We'll certainly do that at the right time.  I don't think
> we're there yet, though.  IMO, the level of core support
> we can rely on for 2.x, needs to be *explicit* before then.
 >
> Based on dev@'s recent history regarding code contributions,
> I see no reason to expect them to accomodate us.  "Good faith"
> isn't a word I would attach to their decision regarding
> Jon Travis' HTML parser.
>
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=103177775400001&r=1&w=2
>
> Alternatively, I could put cvs repository inside my apache
> home directory, but I don't know how to make that available
> through anoncvs.  Is that a possibility?

We all agree that waiting for httpd people to give a grace is a complete
waste of time. I suggest that we ask Brian Behlendorf to create the
apreq-2.0 repository and start working there. It's important for
preserving the history of changes. I see no reason why not to do it
*now*. Having a repository doesn't mean having a production version of
the code.