httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+apa...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: apreq-2
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:21:40 GMT
Eli Marmor <marmor@netmask.it> writes:

> Is the API of apreq-2 stable?

No.

> Can I use it?
> (it's not for production, but I don't want to have to change my calls
> again and again...)

The patch shouldn't be construed as anything other than alpha software.
It was made available primarily to solicit feedback from dev@httpd,
other apreq developers, as well as potential users of apreq-2 to-be.
It was not meant to serve as a pre-release of apreq-2, and I plan to
remove that patch soonish.

The dev@httpd feedback we got was IMO lukewarm about incorporating that
patch into the httpd distribution.  They'd be far more excited about a
filter-based implementation, and the general consensus on apreq-dev
was to follow that recommendation.  For more info, consult the August &
September 2002 list archives at

  http://httpd.apache.org/mail/apreq-dev/

> I know that there are always surprises and unexpected things, so if you
> THINK that the API is stable but are not SURE, don't hesitate to tell
> me that at least in your opinion it's stable.

Sorry, it's not stable at all.  It may turn out that we don't
change much of the API, and we hope to avoid any major changes
to it.  But I can't promise you anything about how apreq-2 will
turn out.

> I wish you (and me) that the core developers of httpd will agree to
> include it in the standard source tree (at least as "experimental");
> this is its place!

That's the plan.  If you'd like to help out, stay tuned
to the list :-).

--
Joe Schaefer