httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [proposal/vote] OS X support]
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:08:26 GMT
On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 09:34  AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

>   1) a set of prerequisites for OS X, (apache version, compiler
> version,
>      OS version, modperl version, etc.)

This will be the same as on FreeBSD, except that the OS should be Mac
OS X 10.2.x -- at least until we can figure out the problems on 10.1.x.

>   2) accompanying documentation that describes the installation process

I can cobble something together, but the instructions you have on your
web site did the trick for me, perfectly.

> I'd be happy to upgrade the experimental server patches to 1.1 and
> bundle them into the libapreq distribution.

That'll be great for OS X 10.1.x users. Thanks!

> I'd also be happy to
> include any documentation the OS X community wishes to provide for
> installing Apache::Request and Apache::Cookie.

As I said, I'd be glad to cobble something together. If you include the
experimental server patch, I'll write the doc. It will describe using
the patch for OS X 10.1.x users, and using your new instructions for OS
X 10.2.x users.

>   However, I will not
> do that work for you.  I'll offer any technical assistance that I can,
> just as I did when Randy Kobes ported libapreq, Apache::Request, and
> Apache::Cookie to Win32.

Fine, but you *will* upgrade the experimental server patches, yes?

> httpd-apreq development does not follow the benevolent-dictator model.
> It's an ASF project, and as such the committers are free to scratch
> whatever itches suit them.  We collectively support the code, and
> expect
> users to drive innovation.

Cool. Wish I knew more C -- and had time to just hack, hack, hack! In
the meantime, I can help to make sure it works.

> None of the current committers have expressed any interest in making
> Apache::Request + Apache::Cookie work on OS X.  We've got the C API
> for libapreq working fairly well, though.  And we're satisfied with
> that.

Yeah, and as I said, the Perl bit works fine, too, on 10.2.x. Ken and I
are glad to help try to diagnose the problems on 10.1.1, though we're
not the most experienced C guys for fixing it ourselves (though I have
figured stuff out on occaision...).

Thanks,

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394