httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From burns...@kattare.com
Subject Re: configure scripts broken
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:59:05 GMT
Joe,

   I'm afraid I don't really have much background with apreq.  So I
probably can't help much in fixing it, but here's a (hopefully) better
description of the problem.

- apache, mod_perl, & perl are custom installations.  no out of the box
distro configurations here.

apache:
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" \
./configure \
        --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
        --sbindir=/usr/local/apache/sbin \
        --server-uid=www \
        --server-gid=www \
        --enable-suexec \
        --suexec-caller=www \
        --suexec-docroot=/nfs \
        --suexec-logfile=/log/suexec_log \
        --suexec-uidmin=100 \
        --suexec-gidmin=100 \
        --enable-module=most \
        --enable-shared=max \
        --add-module=mod_frontpage.c

mod_perl:
perl Makefile.PL \
     USE_APXS=1 \
     WITH_APXS=/usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs \
     EVERYTHING=1

- If I remeber right, the apreq 'perl Makefile.PL' worked just fine.  I
had to pass the path to my apache includes, but that's about it.

- Then doing a 'make' or 'make install' would go for a bit, but
ultimately fail stating that Apache__Table was missing from the mod_perl
installation.

- I quoted 'nm' results earlier in the thread.  Basically it showed no
'Apache__Table' in the httpd binary, but it was present in the mod_perl
DSO module.

- Our default line in our httpd.conf that includes the mod_perl dso is:

LoadModule perl_module        libexec/libperl.so

  Which tells it to look in the apache root /usr/local/apache, then
works relative from there.  If I'm not mistaken, this is also the
recommended mode of operation regarding DSO modules.

  To get the apreq compile to work I had to change it to:

LoadModule perl_module        /usr/local/apache/libexec/libperl.so

    So that's about the gist of it.  I don't know what the fix is, but I
think you probably just have to add a check for 'apache-root +
perl_module' to the current check for 'perl_module'.  If that makes sense?

Cheers,

~Ethan B.

Quoting Joe Schaefer <joe+apache@sunstarsys.com>:

> burnside@kattare.com writes:
>
> > The configure/make scripts are broken.
> >
> > If you use DSO's and you don't include the full path to
> > the mod_perl DSO file in libexec, then it refuses to
> > compile/install saying it can't find Apache__Table.
> >
> > A little bit of relative-path intelligence in the next
> > version would go a long way.
>
> [...]
>
> I've been trying to follow the discussion, but I can't
> figure out exactly what problem is being discussed.  If
> you're doing a perl build of libapreq, libapreq gets its
> Makefile information from the Apache::src module.  For some
> reason, it seems a few OS vendors fail to install this
> module properly, which is why the normal thing we suggest
> users do is just rebuild/install modperl themselves.  That
> way they get a working Apache::src, and Apache:::Request
> should build ok then.
>
> If you've figured out some better way to handle this,
> by all means please continue working on it!  If you
> submit a patch, and it works ok on all platforms, it'll
> definitely go into the upcoming release of 1.1.
>
> Our current build/test system needs lots of work,
> and any contribution will make a big difference
> to the current user community.  If you need help
> fixing something, please don't hesitate to ask.
>
> --
> Joe Schaefer

Ethan Burnside - Founder
Kattare Internet Services