httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: dev question: apreq 2 as a filter?
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:43:11 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> writes:

> At 11:18 AM 8/26/2002, Joe Schaefer wrote:

[...]

> >For instance, it would be a bad thing if the content-handler injects
> >apreq at the end of the filter chain, then "does something" to cause
> >apreq to prefetch some post DATA, and *then* wants to inject utf-8
> >somewhere upstream from the apreq filter.
>
> That's easy... when you insert a filter, you can choose to insert it before
> or after another filter.  Any filter that wants apreq results before processing
> it's own input filtering MUST insert itself behind the apreq filter, after
> calling
> the fn to inject and initialize the apreq filter.

That's not the case I'm worried about.  I'm worried about the case
where the to-be-inserted filter wants to modify the input stream
*before* apreq starts parsing it.  The to-be-inserted filter isn't
interested in the apreq data whatsoever.

For example, someone may write a filter whose job is to run a SAX-ish
XSL transform on the incoming "text/xml" data.  (Perhaps even as a fixup
for apreq's xml parser).  We had better not have prefetched any of the
POST before that filter is injected upstream.

--
Joe Schaefer