httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: dev question: apreq 2 as a filter?
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2002 04:38:41 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> Bill was saying that he won't grab more than 64k of the body by default.
> I suggested that this should be configurable by apreq.
>
> I think that we are all saying a similar thing, the only confusion is
> about what happens if apreq injects its filter, but somebody else calls
> ap_get_brigade.

Yes, I think this is exactly the situation where we disagree.

> This probably should never happen if apreq first consumes(/copies) all
> the body, assuming that it's configured that way and the body is not
> too big.

But we don't *need* the filter to consume everything- the apreq filter
can just grab enough input data to keep the parser (and the previous
filter) happy.  Usually that'll be 8KB or less, even say in the case
of a 100MB file upload.  Yes we need to worry about pathological cases,
but the necessary security features are pretty much already there.

> And I agree with Issac's two descriptions, where 2) simply consumes all
> the body without using filters, which can be done from 1) where the
> filter simply consumes the data and doesn't pass anything but EOS further.

I'd rather the apreq filter behaved like a block-buffered filter would.
AFAICT mod_deflate doesn't consume the whole body before passing it
along,  so why do you think we need to?

--
Joe Schaefer