httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: dev question: apreq 2 as a filter?
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:54:57 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> I'll mention again this URL:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/handlers.html#All_in_One_Filter
> which demonstrates that filters are quite simple once you understand how
> they work, and that's the goal of that URL -- to help you understand that.

I agree that Dump.pm is very simple, But I don't *like* the
idea of using a store-and-forward type filter (which is only
called one time per request, and consumes its entire input brigade
before passing control to the next filter in the chain).

The FilterSnoop.pm code looks much more promising to me,
which appears to only consume $readbytes of data per call.
In that example, what I'd naively hope to happen is that apache
would execute the filters in this order:

snoop ("connection", ...
snoop ("request", ...
snoop ("connection", ...
snoop ("request", ...
snoop ("connection", ...
snoop ("request", ...

but NOT in a store-and-forward 'ish

snoop ("connection", ...
snoop ("connection", ...
snoop ("connection", ...
snoop ("request", ...
snoop ("request", ...
snoop ("request", ...

It looks to me (based on the webpage) like the second case
is what's really happening.  Is that right?

> Ryan's book should be of help too
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072223448
> it covers the filters development details.

Thanks again, Stas- I'll have a look at that as well.
--
Joe Schaefer