httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject dev question: apreq 2 as a filter?
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:49:05 GMT
During the ongoing discussion on dev regarding apreq-2,
William Rowe suggested we might implement apreq-2 as an
apache filter.  In principle, I think this is a great idea.
But I have a feeling it will require substantial reworking of
all our parser-based code (basically everything in
apreq_parser.c).

Here's why:  running apreq-2 as an input filter means (I think)
that we'd need to reimplement the parsers as callbacks which
relinquish control after they've read a few chunks of data.
Currently they consume everything, but there's really no
reason they can't stop after locating a urlword or a block of
data from a file upload.  It's possible that we could rework
the parsers themselves to be filters, instead of maintaining
our own internal parser stack (req->parsers).  Unfortunately
I've no experience with the apache filter API, so this may
all be a lot of hot air.

Thoughts on API changes?  Should apreq_parser_register() register
an apache filter instead?