httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: starting apreq 2.0
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:44:42 GMT
 >>want Apache::Request (not libapreq) to be a part of modperl-2.0,

>>because it features WrapXS which makes it very easy to write XS wrappers
>>for the C APIs. Gerald started working on splitting WrapXS into its own
>>project so it could be reused outside modperl build, but I didn't hear
>>the status update for a long time.
>>

> I don't know about Gerald's work, but straight XS is pretty easy as
> it is.  The XS documentation is crap but that's another story :)  What
> makes the current Apache::Request complicated is the wacky platform-
> specific perl configurations and vendor-munged installations of mod_perl
> that are out there.

I guess you haven't seen what Doug has done to modperl 2.0, regarding
mapping C code to Perl :) It's so slick! Almost no code to glue a huge API.

>>In any case I think we could make the Perl/XS code as a part of modperl
>>and build it if libapreq is installed.
>>

> Agreed, but I'd like to see our (future) work on the C API get bundled
> somehow into the standard apache distribution; shipping a separate libapreq
> extension library IMO overcomplicates things for an end-user.  I think
> they should be able to "turn on" apreq in their apache source tree and
> then configure mod_whatever to just use it.

OK, so let's do things one by one, can you please ask httpd-dev list to
consider to include apreq in httpd distro? Once we resolve this issue,
it's makes things easier.