httpd-apreq-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: Kobes' CPAN search still showing 0.31
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 14:39:36 GMT
On 13 May 2001, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> I just took a look at Randy Kobes' CPAN listing for
> libapreq, and it is still showing DOUGM as the author
> and 0.31 as version number:
>
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/mod_perl/cpan-search?distinfo=87
>
> search.cpan.org has 0.31_3 listed as the current version.
>
> Is there anything special that needs to be done to update
> this info?

I get the module and package info from the same sources that
CPAN.pm does:

theoryx5$ perl -MCPAN -e shell

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.59)
ReadLine support enabled

cpan> i /^Apache::Request$/
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /home/randy/.cpan/Metadata
Module id = Apache::Request
    DESCRIPTION  CGI.pm functionality using API methods
    CPAN_USERID  DOUGM (Doug MacEachern <dougm@pobox.com>)
    CPAN_VERSION 0.31
    CPAN_FILE    D/DO/DOUGM/libapreq-0.31.tar.gz
    DSLI_STATUS  amcO (alpha,mailing-list,C,object-oriented)
    MANPAGE      Apache::Request - Methods for dealing with client request data
    INST_FILE    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i686-linux/Apache/Request.pm
    INST_VERSION 0.31

This is because distribution names with underscores in their version
numbers are ignored in the CPAN indexing of modules, so as to allow
testing of experimental versions. I guess search.cpan.org doesn't
follow this policy. To get the CPAN index files to recognize
this version would require a version number without underscores,
plus Doug would have to go to the PAUSE web page and transfer ownership.

best regards,
randy kobes