htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Colin McCabe <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Attic podling Apache HTrace?
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2017 17:42:22 GMT
Thanks for bringing this up, Mike.

The original vision for HTrace was trying to unify a bunch of disparate
Hadoop components with a unified tracing layer.  This would allow us to
debug slowness or odd behavior in a much better way.  We started from
that vision and deduced the need to build a frontend API (htrace-core),
backend data store (htrace-hbase, htrace-htraced, etc.), and web UI
(htrace-web).

I still think that vision is valid, but achieving it was a lot harder
than we expected, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, I think building all those components needed someone (or
maybe several someones) to work on it full time.  We tried to do it part
time with a few HDFS and HBase committers.  Ultimately this didn't scale
as much as we needed it to.

Secondly, we were hoping for a lot of buy-in from Hadoop vendors and big
tech companies that used Hadoop.  Unfortunately, we didn't really get
that.  The Hadoop vendors were preoccupied with other things.  Big tech
companies seem to mostly developed their own internal systems using bits
and pieces of open source.  I think this is another area where we just
needed more budget.  In retrospect, having meetups and reaching out to
potential users is something we needed to do.  There are some other
projects that have been a lot better with this than we have.

I think we should try to refocus on some core use-cases.  Basically,
decide what we want to achieve and find the shortest path to that.  If
that involves using other projects, then that's fine-- as long as they
are open source projects compatible with the ideals of the ASF.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few core use-cases:

* Why is my HDFS request slow?   Figure out if there are disk issues or
network issues.

* Why is my HBase request slow?  Follow HBase requests into the HDFS
layer.

* Who is making the most requests to HDFS?

* What average speed is Hadoop getting from its S3 requests?  How often
do we hit our local caches, versus going over the network?

best,
Colin