htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <bil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubator report / podling status
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2017 18:56:18 GMT
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Billie Rinaldi <billie@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I posted the report to https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2017 and
> > signed off. Other mentors, please sign off as well.
> >

> Done
>

> > There has been some discussion in the Accumulo community about
> contributing
> > its span receiver back to HTrace. We know it works well, and that would
> > make configuring and versioning it easier. I haven't had time to work on
> > it, though, which is why I haven't brought it up. Would HTrace consider
> > accepting an Accumulo span receiver, if we could find someone to work on
> > it?
> >

> Yes. Makes sense. What is special about this receiver?

Nearly all Apache Accumulo instances are configured to send traces to
themselves using this mechanism. There's a tracer process that spans are
sent to via Thrift, and the tracer inserts the spans into Accumulo. The
tracer location(s) are discovered via ZooKeeper. So, pretty normal?
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/tree/master/server/tracer/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/tracer

When testing out HDFS and Accumulo tracing together, I found I had to add a
configuration property that would optionally allow the receiver to drop
spans of length 0ms, as HDFS was generating a huge number of these. (I
realize dropping spans is not recommended, but I was still able to do some
interpretation of parentless spans when the 0ms spans were missing.)

Billie