htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Colin McCabe <cmccabe...@fastmail.com>
Subject Re: incubator report / podling status
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2017 17:11:50 GMT
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 10:56, Billie Rinaldi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Billie Rinaldi <billie@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I posted the report to https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2017 and
> > > signed off. Other mentors, please sign off as well.
> > >

> > Done
> >

> > > There has been some discussion in the Accumulo community about
> > contributing
> > > its span receiver back to HTrace. We know it works well, and that would
> > > make configuring and versioning it easier. I haven't had time to work on
> > > it, though, which is why I haven't brought it up. Would HTrace consider
> > > accepting an Accumulo span receiver, if we could find someone to work on
> > > it?
> > >

> > Yes. Makes sense. What is special about this receiver?
> >

> Nearly all Apache Accumulo instances are configured to send traces to
> themselves using this mechanism. There's a tracer process that spans are
> sent to via Thrift, and the tracer inserts the spans into Accumulo. The
> tracer location(s) are discovered via ZooKeeper. So, pretty normal?
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/tree/master/server/tracer/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/tracer

Yeah, we should add that SpanReceiver to HTrace.

> When testing out HDFS and Accumulo tracing together, I found I had to add
> configuration property that would optionally allow the receiver to drop
> spans of length 0ms, as HDFS was generating a huge number of these. (I
> realize dropping spans is not recommended, but I was still able to do
> some
> interpretation of parentless spans when the 0ms spans were missing.)

This should be fixed in the latest HDFS.  Unfortunately, the Hadoop 2.8
release got eaten by a grue, but if you try Hadoop 3.0 alpha, it should
be there.  Incidentally, updating Accumulo to HTrace 4.x would be one of
the best things we could do to help HTrace...

cheers,
Colin

> Billie
>

> > St.Ack