htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Krishnanand Khambadkone <kkhambadk...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: HTrace question
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 04:29:04 GMT
I did find this jar htrace-core-3.1.0-incubating.jar in the hbase/lib directory.  I presume
htrace has a GUI and can be accessed from port 16900.

    On Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:04 PM, Colin McCabe <cmccabe@apache.org> wrote:

 Just to be completely clear, you can't use HTrace with any distribution
of Hadoop, only with a distribution that supports the specific
instrumentation that HTrace requires.  It's a feature like any other.
In a similar fashion, for example, you cannot use snapshots or HDFS high
availability with Hadoop 1.x or HDP 1, but you can with Hadoop 2.x or
CDH 5.  Not every Hadoop distribution supports every feature or project.

We are working on better upstream documentation (there has been some
progress on that in the HTrace 4.2 time-frame, and hopefully there will
be even more).

I think it's likely that Hortonworks will support these features in the
future and I am not trying to advocate for any particular vendor.  But
to be concrete about your options, basically you have two choices: using
Cloudera's distribution of Hadoop, or using the upstream distribution of
Hadoop and building it yourself.  The Cloudera docs are here:
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2015/12/new-in-cloudera-labs-apache-htrace-incubating/

best,
Colin