htrace-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin P. McCabe" <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Build instructions for Htrace
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2015 07:31:10 GMT
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Arun Khetarpal <akhetarp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to actually build HTrace and surprisingly took me a good 5 hrs
> to get everything to work.
>
> Couple of things which i'd like to point out.
>
> a) I faced some issues with maven3.3. It seems we run into a bug with shade
> plugin. ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MSHADE-148 ). It does not
> happen with maven3.1

I'm really sorry to hear that it took you so long to build!  This is the
HTRACE-234 issue, right?

Good work tracking down the Maven issue.  I am having a lot of trouble
trying to understand MSHADE-148.  It seem like it requires:
1. using both the jar and test-jar version of a dependency
2. while also including a jar dependency that is a transitive dependency of
the other dependencies

So it seems like potentially the inclusion of htrace-core as a test
dependency of the submodules could set this off... or perhaps this stanza
in htrace-hbase/pom.xml:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.hbase</groupId>
      <artifactId>hbase-testing-util</artifactId>
      <version>${hbase.version}</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>

> b) We should document the requirement of installing go and leveldb

It's documented in htrace-htraced/BUILDING.txt.  Hmm... I wonder if there's
some other documentation we could add or some way to make this
documentation easier to find.

cheers,
Colin