htrace-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin P. McCabe" <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HTrace 4.0 Release Candidate 0
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2015 07:30:52 GMT
On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney
<lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
> Nice work in getting the release candidate prepared and available for
> review.
> Where is the KEYS file?
> I tried the one here

Good call.  I'll append my key to the KEYS file.  My public key is
here: http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xDE78987A9CD4D9D3

> It does not contain your sig so I cannot verify the release sigs.
> Moving on,
>
> Notes Binaries Archives Standards Apache Generated Unknown 0 0 0 116 92 0 15
> Unapproved licenses are as follows
>
> bootstrap-theme.css
> bootstrap-theme.min.css
> bootstrap.css
> bootstrap.min.css
> backbone-1.1.2.js
> bootstrap.js
> bootstrap.min.js
> d3.min.js
> jquery-2.1.4.js
> moment-2.10.3.js
> npm.js
> underscore-1.7.0.js
> SpanProtos.java
> dependency-reduced-pom.xml
>
> None of the above libraries are declared within NOTICE.txt

bootstrap-theme.css, bootstrap-theme.min.css, bootstrap.css,
bootstrap.min.css, bootstrap.js, bootstrap.min.js, and
bootstrap-3.3.1/js/npm.js are described in LICENSE.txt as:

> Bootstrap, an html, css, and javascript framework, is
> Copyright (c) 2011-2015 Twitter, Inc and MIT licensed:
> https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/blob/master/LICENSE

backbone-1.1.2.js is described in LICENSE.txt as:

> backbone, is a javascript library, that is Copyright (c) 2010-2014
> Jeremy Ashkenas, DocumentCloud. It is MIT licensed:
> https://github.com/jashkenas/backbone/blob/master/LICENSE

d3.min.js is described in LICENSE.txt as:

> D3, a javascript library for manipulating data, used by htrace-hbase
> is Copyright 2010-2014, Michael Bostock and BSD licensed:
> https://github.com/mbostock/d3/blob/master/LICENSE

jquery-2.1.4.js is described in LICENSE.txt as:

> jquery, a javascript library, is Copyright jQuery Foundation and other
> contributors, https://jquery.org/. The software consists of
> voluntary contributions made by many individuals. For exact
> contribution history, see the revision history
> available at https://github.com/jquery/jquery
> It is MIT licensed:
> https://github.com/jquery/jquery/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

moment-2.10.3.js is described in LICENSE.txt as:

> moment.js is a front end time conversion project.
> It is (c) 2011-2014 Tim Wood, Iskren Chernev, Moment.js contributors
> and shared under the MIT license:
> https://github.com/moment/moment/blob/develop/LICENSE

underscore-1.7.0.js is described in LICENSE.txt as:

According to http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html:

> Bundling a dependency which is issued under one of the following
> licenses is straightforward, assuming that said license applies
> uniformly to all files within the dependency:
> 1. BSD (without advertising clause)
> 2. MIT/X11
> In LICENSE, add a pointer to the dependency's license within the source tree
> and a short note summarizing its licensing...
> Under normal circumstances, there is no need to modify NOTICE.

Since these are all BSD or MIT licensed, I would interpret this to
mean there is no need for us to modify NOTICE.  Does that make sense?

SpanProtos.java and dependency-reduced-pom.xml are generated files.
According to http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-license-headers
:

> The issue of licenses on generated documentation is a little controversial.
> Copyright may not subsist in a document which is generated by an transformation
> from an original. In which case, the license header may be unnecessary. License
> headers should always be present in the original. Where it is reasonable to do so,
> the templates should also add the license header to the generated documents.

I looked at how Apache Hadoop is handling this, and they do not have
license headers on their protobuf-generated files.  So I think this is
fine.  (From a technical point of view, I think the PB compiler also
provides no way to do this, as far as I know.)  The situation for
dependency-reduced-pom.xml is the same-- it is a file generated by
Maven.  This is similar to jar files, which are also generated by the
build process, and do not contain a license header.

Also, I believe all these library and generated  files were in the
last release we did (although they moved around a bit).

> I navigate to the decompressed RC directory and try mvn clean install... it
> enters into a loop!

As Masatake commented, this is HTRACE-236.  There is a note about it
in the README.md.  For a workaround, you can use the solution
described in HTRACE-234 to get the build to run on your version of
Maven (which I assume is 3.3)...

Thanks for trying out the release-- I will take a look at updating
KEYS tomorrow.  So far I haven't seen anything that would need a
respin (please let me know if I missed anything...)

cheers,
Colin