htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Phoenix Tracing Dashboard-jira issue PHOENIX 1118
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2015 04:13:58 GMT
I wonder if the htrace UI backend could be defined as an interface, and an
implementation be provided that goes against the Phoenix table. Further, if
the UI is modular, Phoenix can embed it into it's own management service,
should such a service surface.

Actually, I think my experience with Calcite/Avatica and the Phoenix Query
Server is a nice example. The upstream library project (HTrace) can provide
a modular implementation with well defined interfaces and an out-of-the-box
implementation. Those modules can be used by downstream projects (Phoenix)
to drive their own specific needs if the out-of-the-box implementations are
insufficient or can otherwise be adapted. Users of HDFS but not Phoenix
should enjoy a nice UI for visualizing traces, just like HBase and Phoenix.
Having that core code living in HTrace makes good sense.

However, I'm concerned that our aspirations of cross-project reuse may be a
hindrance for Ayola's GSoC requirements. I think she'll have a more
fruitful experience if there's a concrete, single-project deliverable. With
that in mind, I'm inclined to suggest she "borrow" HTrace's efforts as
she's able, to facilitate Phoenix working out it's precise needs. This
keeps her deliverables focused and of direct value to the sponsoring
project. Unless, that is, HTrace is ready with a modular design and it's UI
elements can be packaged as library components today.

-n