htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Apache Phoenix Tracing Dashboard-jira issue PHOENIX 1118
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:45:25 GMT
On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:16 PM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:41 PM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> bq. So a web UI in HTrace itself would help more people than a web UI
> >> in just Phoenix
> >> You trying to poach our GSoC student, Colin? :-)
> >>
> >> The end goal is to provide a UI to visualize performance
> >> characteristics of an HBase cluster running Phoenix queries.
> >

> > Where are you thinking this UI should live James? (Where are you thinking
> > the traces should reside? Would you want to query the traces table using
> > Phoenix?)
>
> UI would live in Phoenix and be part of the distro. You'd likely want
> to be able to issue queries (maybe embed sqlline or some other SQL
> client). I think it'd be Phoenix/SQL-specific, but it's possible that
> shared UI components could live in HTrace.
>
> Yes, we have a custom sink that persists the trace information into a
> Phoenix table to allow adhoc querying. The idea would be that the UI
> would query that table. See http://phoenix.apache.org/tracing.html.
> You can play around with this today - it's available in our 4.3.1
> release (including turning tracing on and off through sqlline).

So, for this to work on any random cluster, HDFS, HBase, and Phoenix will
all be configured to write traces to a Phoenix table.

The UI will do (or does) SQL against this table or does it use HBase APIs?

You would not be interested in deferring 'trace' to an external system? You
are more interested in leveraging bits and pieces of htrace to host your
own?

Thanks,
St.Ack