htrace-dev mailing list archives

From James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Phoenix Tracing Dashboard-jira issue PHOENIX 1118
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:16:45 GMT
On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:41 PM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> bq. So a web UI in HTrace itself would help more people than a web UI
>> in just Phoenix
>> You trying to poach our GSoC student, Colin? :-)
>>
>> The end goal is to provide a UI to visualize performance
>> characteristics of an HBase cluster running Phoenix queries.
>

> Where are you thinking this UI should live James? (Where are you thinking
> the traces should reside? Would you want to query the traces table using
> Phoenix?)

UI would live in Phoenix and be part of the distro. You'd likely want
to be able to issue queries (maybe embed sqlline or some other SQL
client). I think it'd be Phoenix/SQL-specific, but it's possible that
shared UI components could live in HTrace.

Yes, we have a custom sink that persists the trace information into a
Phoenix table to allow adhoc querying. The idea would be that the UI
would query that table. See http://phoenix.apache.org/tracing.html.
You can play around with this today - it's available in our 4.3.1
release (including turning tracing on and off through sqlline).

>> If the
>> information can't be related back to a query, then it's likely not
>> going to be successful.
>>

> In HTrace, there is a means of annotating traces; phoenix could write the
> query as annotation on the trace it had provoked. Would a UI that could
> 'front' these query annotations suffice?

Yes, we already annotate the traces with the query (it's in the
DESCRIPTION column of that Phoenix table). See above, though - I think
it's likely that the UI would be Phoenix-specific, but there may be
opportunities for code sharing at the UI widget level.