htrace-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin P. McCabe" <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Github integration
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 00:19:48 GMT
Pull requests aren't a replacement for JIRA, because they don't allow
you to see the history of an issue over time, link it to other issues,
post pictures or other observations, talk to the community, and so on.
In a word, github isn't a bug tracker.  And the bug tracker that
github does offer is very inadequate... even projects that go entirely
github usually use an external bug tracker for this reason.

I agree that reviewboard is a bad experience.  The big issue with RB
has always been that it's clunky to post patches.  With JIRA, for all
it's faults, I just click "attach file," select the file, and go.
With RB, I have to fill out a form reminiscent of an IRS 1040 every
time I post a patch.  Yes, I realize there are uploader scripts.  But
after my uploader script broke the third time, I just decided it
wasn't worth it and used the RB interface from then on.  I just don't
have time to debug uploader problems, especially things like "you
forgot to use --full-index, now I'm going to say 'file doesn't exist
in project'"

Jake, can you go into more detail about how Crucible is "slow and
painful to use"?  Do you mean that the interface is not responsive?  I
haven't used Crucible before, but I would be up for evaluating it.

I would be up for evaluating gerrit IF we had a plugin that mirrored
the gerrit comments to JIRA so that they were indexable and searchable
through normal means.  I have used gerrit before.  It offers a great
uploading experience (just do "git push"), a GUI for making comments
on patches, and the ability to submit a patch with one click.

Colin