htrace-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin P. McCabe" <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Github integration
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 21:21:24 GMT
Hi guys,

Thanks for opening a [DISCUSS] thread.

I am -1 on the concept of using github as our code review tool, for a
few reasons.  The biggest reason is just the "split system" effect.  I
don't want to have to search a separate system to see the patch that
would formerly have been attached to a JIRA.  Sometimes I want to
search for a particular comment that someone made.  I can do this
through JIRA full text search, but I can't do it through github.  I
would like the discussion of the JIRA, to appear on the JIRA, not some
other place.   I would like to be able to learn everything I need,
just from watching the jira, and not have to scramble to other 3rd
party websites.

I don't think comments about the JIRA can always be cleanly separated
into comments about the patch and comments about the idea.  if I want
to make meta-comments about an approach, where do they go?  People
will stop reading JIRA if all the action is on github.  But github is
apparently only for detailed patch comments.

>From an interface point of view, I just don't like github's interface.
I admit that this is somewhat of a matter of opinion, but it's how I
feel.  I don't like how each new patch version you post hides the
comments from the previous version.  It makes it difficult to follow
the thread of the conversation because I have to keep clicking on
"expand" arrows constantly, whereas with JIRA I could just read from
top to bottom.

I have found that projects that used github heavily, such as Spark,
had problems with multiple PRs being opened for the same issue.  The
people didn't know about each others' PR.  JIRA was often not updated
with the results of discussions on github, and JIRA summaries for that
project could be very misleading.  They build some custom tooling to
try to alleviate this problem, but it's a problem we just wouldn't
have if we stuck with JIRA.

If the concern is that we need a better code review tool, how about
Crucible?  That integrates with JIRA rather than being a separate
system.

best,
Colin

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Jake Farrell <jfarrell@apache.org> wrote:
> We have that available also, when a pr is created we can launch a jenkins
> run for a given project and jenkins will comment back on that pr when its
> done with the status. Also for Phoenix I enabled it in the filter for the
> pre-commit last night
>
> -Jake
>

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Jake --
>>
>> While I'm making requests of Infra, it would be super-cool if the
>> Pre-Commit bot could detect a PR the same way it detects a patch. Then we
>> could have our pre-commit scrips pull down the change, and run it like a
>> patch through the project's usual process. Better still would be if Apache
>> could provide a template for projects to follow. In another thread, I'm
>> adding pre commit for Phoenix, which is going to end up using a fork of
>> HBase's.. which is itself a fork of Hadoop's. One base script that does most
>> of the heavy lifting that we all can inherit from and extend with
>> project-specific additions would be really helpful, especially for when I
>> get around to adding pre-commit for HTrace too ;)
>>
>> -n
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Colin, thanks for making this a DISCUSS thread ;)
>>>
>>> I'm not suggesting switching away from JIRA. What I want is to make it as
>>> easy as possible for non-Apache folks to find and contribute to HTrace,
>>> through the following:
>>>  (0) mirror our repo to the github.com/apache account
>>>  (1) allow folks to submit a PR against that account and have it arrive
>>> meaningfully to the community. On other projects, I've seen this result in a
>>> mail to dev@
>>>
>>> After that it's up for discussion. I think PR's and RB are a better place
>>> for deconstructing a large patch than comments on a JIRA. Github has the
>>> advantage over apache RB of being the most visible code review tool out
>>> there, so it benefits our project by participating. I also don't think it's
>>> a big deal to review patches on PR. Just like with RB, it's external to JIRA
>>> and that's okay, so long as it's clear that there's a non-JIRA resource
>>> associated with the ticket. For initial contributions that originate on a
>>> PR, it's obvious where to look for additional discussion. It's the exact
>>> same as looking to RB or Fabricator for patch comments. It's up to the
>>> contributor and the sponsor committed to be aware of these threads.
>>>
>>> I am absolutely NOT suggesting we replace JIRA with github issue tracker
>>> or pushing commits that lack and associated JIRA.
>>>
>>> Thanks Jake for the docs on how Thrift integrates with GH, that's what I
>>> was looking for.

I can't even