htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Github integration
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2015 18:38:04 GMT
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@apache.org> wrote:
> There's a joke here about N devs in a room and N opinions that are all
> right (and all wrong)!

Isn't the lower bound on the number of opinions at least N^2?

> All I'm asking for here is to make it easy for outsiders to contribute.
> Having HTrace show up in the mirror is a big step. The next logical thing
> is folks will click the fork button. We should be ready to receive the
> incoming help; the details of that implementation are less important to me.

That's all posible today.

> Whatever our individual opinions, GH is a defacto place for developers
> these days -- their tools are extremely well socialized. It's a shame to
> cut ourselves off from users of that community. I happen to share Colin's
> opinions about the inferiority of GH's interface for historical comments (I
> personally like gerrit the best of the tools I've used), but that doesn't
> mean we should shun it. (I also generally loath JIRA, on par with Elliott's
> thoughts).

FWIW: I have seen how enabling GH workflow helps increase
the # of meaningful contributions coming in. Apache Groovy (incubating)
is a prime example of a project that runs as close to pure GH workflow
as is possible within ASF.

Thanks,
Roman.