htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wall <mjw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HTrace and Go
Date Sun, 01 Mar 2015 04:04:05 GMT
Thanks for the replies.  Not sure if this is useful or not, but here are
some notes on how I got htraced running.  I missed the
htrace-core/src/go/BUILDING.txt file before, which mentioned these items
already.

- Install Go
Download 1.3.1 from https://golang.org/dl/
Unzip somewhere, like /local/opt/go
export GOROOT=/local/opt/go
export GOPATH="${GOROOT}/packages"
add $GOROOT/bin and $GOPATH/bin to $PATH
Seems like GOROOT may no longer be needed for newer versions of Go

- Install godep
Run
go get github.com/tools/godep
Puts it in GOPATH

- Install leveldb
Download 1.13.1 from
https://code.google.com/p/leveldb/downloads/detail?name=leveldb-1.13.0.tar.gz
extract, cd into leveldb directory and run make
as root from leveldb directory setup lib and include for compiler
-- Linux CentOS 6.5
cp --preserve=links libleveldb.* /usr/lib64
cp -r include/leveldb /usr/include/
ldconfig
-- Mac 10.10
xcode-select --install # to make sure /usr/local/include is included
cp -a libleveldb.* /usr/local/lib
cp -r include/leveldb /usr/local/include/

- Install maven
Already had 3.0.5 installed

- Get HTrace
git clone http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-htrace.git
mvn clean package

I looked the code a little and still have some questions.

1)  Is REST the only interface for getting span info in and out of htraced?
2)  How is HTracedRESTReciever in htrace-htraced/ used or how will it be
used?  I didn't see it anywhere in the Java clients.
3)  Is it expected that there will be one htraced process running.  I am
thinking of it like the collector in Zipkin,
http://twitter.github.io/zipkin/Architecture.html.  Is that correct?  Is
there a similar architecture diagram for HTrace to help me see the big
picture?  Happy to help make one once I figure it out.

Thanks in advance for the help.  Once I understand more, I'll look at the
open Jira's if that is the best way to get involved.

Mike