htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Colin McCabe <cmcc...@alumni.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: Getting started with Apache HTrace development
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 21:34:50 GMT
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 9:21 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
> lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is the website on CMS?
>>

> No sir. svnpubsub.
>
> We could add a page under incubator wiki or add a page here
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/htrace or ask infra for
> http://wiki.apache.org/htrace or not use the wiki at all but add the setup
> instruction as a site page (I prefer the latter; wiki rots... doc rots too
> but there is more obligation to keep it current).
>
> St.Ack

Can't we have both?  Good docs AND wiki?

It just feels a little weird adding text about how to build Hadoop to
a document inside HTrace.  They're separate projects, after all.  I
would feel a lot more comfortable with that stuff on the wiki, like it
is in Hadoop.

I guess I don't feel super-strongly about it but I feel like there
would be a lot more intro material if we could just throw things up on
a wiki.  Then again, we could have a section of the project docs
dedicated to getting started and/or integrating with other projects?
markdown supports links as well.

Colin