htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Colin McCabe <cmcc...@alumni.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: HTrace and Go
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2015 02:40:31 GMT
Hi Michael,

It's great that you're looking at the project!

The build requirements are in BUILDING.txt, which says "Requires go
version 1.3.1 or 1.4."  In practice, other versions of go will
probably work, we just haven't tested them.  If you are using any
modern version of Linux, you should be able to use "apt-get install
golang" or "zypper install golang", etc. etc.  Please do let us know
if there are any difficulties building, though... we want this to be
very accessible.

As Nick commented, you don't need golang to build the Java client
library.  You might find it helpful to use the "LocalFileSpanReceiver"
which just writes trace spans to a local file.  The go code is used in
htraced, which is a daemon which aggregates the spans all in one
place.

I'm doing some testing now myself with HTrace+Hadoop+HBase and I'll
try to send out my notes about how I set things up.  It will probably
take a week to do that though since there is other stuff on my plate.
But stay tuned.

re: compiling without golang.  We are planning on moving the htraced
stuff into the htace-htraced subproject rather than htrace-core, where
it is now.  Once that move happens you should be able to just compile
the maven subproject you want.  I'm not sure if we need a maven
profile or not since basically the profile would be equivalent to just
not compiling that subproject.

best,
Colin