htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] htrace-3.1.0, the sixth release candidate
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 02:29:13 GMT
I'm trying out this RC over in HBase code. We've broken API compatibility
in at least two commits:

HTRACE-1 changes the SpanReceiver interface. HBase was instantiating
SpanReceivers itself and calling .configure(HTraceConfiguration) on each
one. Looks like now the expectation is that SpanReceiver implementations
provide a constructor that takes a single parameter of HTraceConfiguration.

HTRACE-16 refactors the TraceTree interface a good bit. The handy
getRoots() method has been replaced with the less obvious
getSpansByParent().find(Span.ROOT_SPAN_ID) and .getSpansByParentIdMap() is
also an invocation of getSpansByParent().find().

Neither of these changes are a big deal, but none of this code has
javadocs, so it's not obvious how the contract changed. I had to look at
diffs and tests to decipher the new usage. This means that a simple
search/replace is not sufficient for existing users to upgrade.

For reference, my patch is over on HBASE-12810.

I don't think this is enough to sink the RC, but my understanding of the
earlier discussion was that this release would be a simple search/replace
kind of upgrade. We need to document these idiom changes for folks.

-n