htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <bil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] htrace-3.1.0, fifth release candidate
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 17:27:01 GMT
I have 796e2438fafac3510938c1f987fadd27eef6c063, but it doesn't appear to
be tagged.  Maybe the tag still needs to be pushed or something?
Regarding the binary files, I don't think they can be included in a
src-only tarball.

Going down the release checklist (
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list), it
looks as though we're okay on most of the points, but we're missing the
disclaimer, the filenames don't have "incubating" in them (I've seen other
podlings handle this by adding -incubating to the version number, e.g.
3.1.0-incubating), and the release doesn't consist only of source code.
good - 1.1 Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
good - 2.1 Build is successful including automated tests.
still need to address - 3.1 DISCLAIMER is correct, filenames include
"incubating".
see below - 3.2 Top-level LICENSE and NOTICE are correct for each
distribution.
good - 3.3 All source files have license headers where appropriate.
good - 3.4 The provenance of all source files is clear (ASF or software
grants).
good - 3.5 Dependencies licenses are ok as per http://apache.org/legal/
release contains compiled code - 3.6 Release consists of source code only,
no binaries.

Regarding the LICENSE and NOTICE, in htrace-hbase/src/main/webapps/static
we have d3.min.js, bootstrap-theme.min.css and bootstrap.min.css.  d3 is
BSD-licensed and bootstrap is MIT-licensed, so these should be mentioned in
the LICENSE file, presumably with the entire text of their licenses since
we're using the minimized versions (
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps).

In htrace-zipkin/src/main/thrift we have scribe.thrift and
zipkinCore.thrift that seem to be from Zipkin.  Since Zipkin is
Apache-licensed and has a NOTICE file, I think we need to copy the first
couple of lines to our NOTICE (e.g. Zipkin is a distributed tracing system.
Copyright 2012 Twitter, Inc. -- we can leave out the optional dependencies
listed in their NOTICE).

Regarding the projects currently mentioned in the NOTICE file:
junit - we don't actually bundle this, do we? can we remove it from the
notice?
levigo and kingpin - MIT licensed, so should be mentioned in LICENSE
instead of NOTICE
units - I'm a little concerned about this one since the license is
undetermined -- what if it's made GPL?