htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] htrace-3.1.0, fifth release candidate
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 17:40:01 GMT
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Billie Rinaldi <billie@apache.org> wrote:

> I have 796e2438fafac3510938c1f987fadd27eef6c063, but it doesn't appear to
> be tagged.  Maybe the tag still needs to be pushed or something?

Its pushed. See tags here:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-htrace.git

> Regarding the binary files, I don't think they can be included in a
> src-only tarball.

You are right. I misread it as you asking about the top-level bin dir.
Clean must not be removing them or I need to add an exclude to the assembly.

> Going down the release checklist (
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list), it
> looks as though we're okay on most of the points, but we're missing the
> disclaimer,

You are right.

> the filenames don't have "incubating" in them (I've seen other
> podlings handle this by adding -incubating to the version number, e.g.
> 3.1.0-incubating), and the release doesn't consist only of source code.

Sorry, what you saying in the last bit Billie ("... and the release doesn't
consist only of source code")  Are you saying we should do a binary tarball
too?

> good - 1.1 Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
> good - 2.1 Build is successful including automated tests.
> still need to address - 3.1 DISCLAIMER is correct, filenames include
> "incubating".
> see below - 3.2 Top-level LICENSE and NOTICE are correct for each
> distribution.
> good - 3.3 All source files have license headers where appropriate.
> good - 3.4 The provenance of all source files is clear (ASF or software
> grants).
> good - 3.5 Dependencies licenses are ok as per http://apache.org/legal/
> release contains compiled code - 3.6 Release consists of source code only,
> no binaries.
>
> Regarding the LICENSE and NOTICE, in htrace-hbase/src/main/webapps/static
> we have d3.min.js, bootstrap-theme.min.css and bootstrap.min.css.  d3 is
> BSD-licensed and bootstrap is MIT-licensed, so these should be mentioned in
> the LICENSE file, presumably with the entire text of their licenses since
> we're using the minimized versions (
> http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps).

Thanks. Will do.

> In htrace-zipkin/src/main/thrift we have scribe.thrift and
> zipkinCore.thrift that seem to be from Zipkin.  Since Zipkin is
> Apache-licensed and has a NOTICE file, I think we need to copy the first
> couple of lines to our NOTICE (e.g. Zipkin is a distributed tracing system.
> Copyright 2012 Twitter, Inc. -- we can leave out the optional dependencies
> listed in their NOTICE).

Will do.

> Regarding the projects currently mentioned in the NOTICE file:
> junit - we don't actually bundle this, do we? can we remove it from the
> notice?
> levigo and kingpin - MIT licensed, so should be mentioned in LICENSE
> instead of NOTICE
> units - I'm a little concerned about this one since the license is
> undetermined -- what if it's made GPL?

Thanks for the thorough review Billie. Will address and post new RC.

Thanks,
St.Ack