htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Few general notes on using htrace, the cmd-line interface, and htraced
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 06:30:19 GMT
Here is help for htrace:

kalashnikov-17:go stack$ ./build/htrace --help

The HTrace tracing utility.

Flags:
  --help               Show help.
  --addr=0.0.0.0:9095  Server address.

Commands:
  help [<command>]
    Show help for a command.

  version
    Print the version of this program.

  serverInfo
    Print information retrieved from an htraced server.

  findSpan --id=ID
    Print information about a trace span with a given ID.

  findChildren --id=ID [<flags>]
    Print out the span IDs that are children of a given span ID.

  writeSpans --json=JSON
    Write spans to the server in JSON form.

What is a little odd to me is that required arguments are done as 'options'
or 'flags'.  For example, findSpan requires that you pass an id but the id
is passed with the '--id=ID' format.  Shouldn't it be 'findSpan ID' with
flags and options  passed with '--...' format?

When I start htraced, it should print version and the port it is listening
on.

It looks like the serverInfo is gotten by doing a GET on /server/info yet I
write spans at /writeSpans.  Shouldn't the span writing and seaching be
under a subdir at /spans: e.g. to write spans you'd do /spans/write and to
find you'd do /spans/find ?

When I send spans to htraced, it logs each it receives. Can I turn this
off?  Can I turn on logging even more info like the total REST request
(optionally)?

St.Ack