htrace-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Website: mvn generated or apache cms or....
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 22:03:07 GMT
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Jake Farrell <jfarrell@apache.org> wrote:

> cms has its advantages and drawbacks. I've used middleman, jekyll, maven,
> and the cms to generate different ASF sites and so far the one that I
> prefer for use is middleman. Having the ability to use markdown and live
> local dev vs having to push to buildbot (which if down then no site updates
> can occur). Example of middleman in use that I did is for mesos or thrift
> (thrift also has a cms version since we tested them all out). we can switch
> to whichever variant people are most comfortable with, just need to make
> sure that its documented so any committer can update the site easily

Thanks Jake.

I looked at middlman.  It is for 'hand-made' sites.  Looks nice.  Just
putting our README.md in place of the index.html in default site I got this
http://people.apache.org/~stack/htrace_mm_site/  so markdown works (just
need to read how to get the styling in there).

On other hand, just doing mvn site got me this far:
http://people.apache.org/~stack/htrace_mvn_site/ which is kinda attractive.

I don't have much time for website making. Maybe someone else does though.
Otherwise I'd be inclined toward the one takes the least amount of work.

Thanks,
St.Ack