horn-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Tensor Flow now Open Source
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:56:08 GMT
Here's some interesting viewpoint (author is your colleague at Microsoft):

--
The open field of deep learning frameworks is already a crowded and
hyper competitive. Google doesn't gain much by keeping its technology,

Google's direct competitors in the AI space are already leading other
deep learning frameworks. So even if TF is superior, it will be very
slow painful experience if these competitors decide to jump ship.

So let's keep in mind that their loss for publishing
yet-another-deep-learning-framework is small. However, the benefits
are tremendous.

 * Due to the competitive nature of deep learning frameworks, owning
yet-another-state-of-the-art framework doesn't set AI companies apart.
What make a company outstanding are services built on top of this
framework and the people. On the software aspect, I believe that
Google Brain still has secret weapons built on top of TF. On the
people aspect, by releasing this software, Google excites not just the
research community but also their own army and the potential hires.
 * At Google size, you cannot take for granted that other
teams/individuals would automatically use your product. You need to
shout out very loud (and to the public) that your system is the best
to gain other team's confidence, which helps create synergy and
increases the company productivity.
 * Obviously, by open sourcing, they get the benefits from
contributors outside the core team.
 * Once TF gets popular, many new research ideas would be implemented
in TF first, which makes it more efficient for Google to productize
those ideas and have advantages over competitors.
 * TF helps increase the credibility of future Google's research
paper. Google research is notorious for not publishing their code.
 * And last but not least, open sourcing is fun and rewarding. It
increases the morale of the core team too.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon