horn-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject BSPTask-based Parameter Server
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2015 13:28:01 GMT
Hi forks,

I was thought the Parameter Server just as a external in-memory
database that handles concurrent access efficiently.

However, using BSP framework, we just might be able to launch both
Parameter Servers and Worker tasks at once. Maybe, we must do like
that! We divide BSPTasks into two server/worker groups first and then
divide workers into several worker groups for training each model in
parallel.

In this case, the main advantage is that Cluster topology for
distributed training can easily be configured. With this, we can cover
the Downpour, Sandblaster, and Caffe-like Distributed Hogwild on
single framework.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon