horn-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edward.y...@samsung.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Community's development guidelines
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2015 09:43:57 GMT
+1 for having some extra branches.

I heard that any open pull requests referencing master will need to be
rebased, and directly pushed changes to the master cannot be removed.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon

-----Original Message-----
From: Behroz Sikander [mailto:behroz89@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 6:20 PM
To: dev@horn.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Community's development guidelines

Hi,
I have been using git for a while now and I think I can do this task. If
anyone is also looking to work on this task, he can join me :).

Here is the git proposed workflow for contributors:
http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html

First, I think we should discuss our branching model in Git. Currently, we
just have 1 branch "master" and to handle a project like Horn we might need
some extra branches to ease the development and deployment. Here is a very
good model that I have used previously and it will fit in our project
nicely [1]. According to this model we should have the following branches

1- master - The main branch (Trunk). It holds the horn's production-ready
code.
2- develop - All the current development work is merged here. This work is
not yet released.
3- feature - These are temporary branches and once work is done in these
branches, it will be deleted and the code will be merged into develop
branch. All contributors will create a feature branch on their local git
repos against a Horn Jira issue and once the development is complete they
can open a pull request. If the pull request is accepted then it will be
merged to develop branch.
4- release - A release branch will be created before any new release of
Horn.
5- hotfix  - If there is a critical Jira issue and we need to fix it asap
then we create a new hotfix branch, fix the issue and merge the code back
in develop and master branches.

This is a suggestion from my side and we can discuss on it.

[1] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Regards,
Behroz