hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Andrea Chiumenti <kium...@gmail.com>
Subject suggestion request!
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:25:34 GMT
Hello,

I wanto to create a web project that has a service named
AsynchronousRemotePrinting.
This service grants to you to directly send reports to your local printer
simply clicking on a web-link on your browser, this will be a feature of an
OS project that will make heavy use of hivemind(and hivetranse) and
tapestry.

The way i can make possible to print on the user local printer from a web
browser is relatively simple:
1) When the user log into the application for the first time he starts a
client application via webstart, and identifies himself.
2) Asking for a report to print ( click on a link on the browser), means to
save the report by email or webdav.
3) The webstart application has a chron job that periodically asks to the
server if the user has some report to print
4) If yes, then, throught Hessian, the local application downloads the
report and prints it to the preferred printer.

Now my implementation problem is this:

1) If I implement the service as an hessian service, I can define clean
service methods (no user credentials are requested as parameters) but the
service will
remain tied to caucho (the service class can be only a caucho servlet, since
in methods I have to distinguish between users to transmit the right
reports).

2) If I don't want my service to be strongly tied to caucho the I have to
adopt the hiveremoting.caucho solution, but then I have to transimt somehow
the principal
as method parameter. I also think that principal has to be validated at each
service call since it doesn't come from server side,.

So I don't know what should be a better solution: caucho tiding or Principal
passed as parameter ?
Currently I've not been able to think to other possible solutions and I'm
actually more interested in the caucho heavy tie solution.
I'd like to have some suggestion or opinion if possible.
Thanks in advance,
kiuma