hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Alexandru Popescu <the_mindst...@evolva.ro>
Subject Re: Hivemind + AOP : Which approach to take?
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:02:51 GMT
#: by James Carman's words the mind was *winged* :#
> I would have to say that I believe in the KISS (keep it simple, stupid)
> principle.  Proxies are just fine in many cases.  The performance costs of
> proxies vs. "weaving" are negligible compared to what the methods are
> already doing, for the most part.  Now, if you do run into a situation where
> the proxies are just too darned slow for you, then you can tweak the system
> by using a different approach AOP or runtime class generation (CGLIB or
> Javassist).  I would venture to say that you probably won't need to do it.
> In other words, YAGNI.  Don't get me wrong, I do like AOP for certain tasks,
> but when a framework such as HiveMind gives you a simplified solution (like
> MethodInterceptors), why not use it?

Sorry I have been understood this way. I was not advocating against Hivemind, Spring or some
other
aop solutions. To me the initial post seemed to be a research for an intro in aop. From this
point
of view I considered some clarifications were needed.

However, the KISS principle is here applied only to the framework development, as from my
point of
view the users are required to in both situations to learn only the pointcut definition language
(I
wouldn't bring into discussion a few interfaces API that are used in AW or AJ f.e.).

As regards the fact that proxy solutions are covering many cases I agree with you. But I usually

tend to use cleaner befores and afters, instead of always using arounds.

I don't want to start a flame, but considering interceptors as aop is not 100% correct. Interceptors

were introduced as a pattern, that at the point of aop concepts implementation seemed appropriate
be used. You can do with them some of the things you are doing with aop, but that's all. Sorry
if i
sound kinnda `religious┬┤ about it :-).

:alex |.::the_mindstorm::.|