hivemind-user mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: Announcement: The HiveTranse family grows again and changes name!
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 13:46:38 GMT
I think putting a link to the HiveMind Utilities project would be a
wonderful idea.  Although, I would recommend changing the URL first.  Can
you create a new SF project named hivemind-utils (actually hivemind-contrib
might be more suitable, as it follows the usual naming convention that other
projects use)?  Then, we can put a link from the main HM site that says,
"Check out the contributions the HiveMind community has made!" or something.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Francois Poilpret [mailto:jfpoilpret@hcm.vnn.vn]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:40 AM
To: hivemind-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Announcement: The HiveTranse family grows again and changes
name!

Hello Hugo,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic support to HiveMind Utilities
project!

Regarding integrating these modules into HiveMind, it was from the beginning
of my involvement into HiveTranse (previous name of the HiveMind Utilities,
which essentially focused on HM-Hibernate integration) that for licensing
reasons, HiveTranse could not be integrated into HiveMind distribution. At
this time (I think it must be September or October last year), some long
discussion occurred to determine that any library that depends on Hibernate
(LGPL license) could not be hosted on the Apache site. This is also at that
time that Howard suggested that I create a project on SF or some other OSS
repository. That I did a few months later (the time to make the first
hivetranse contribution cleaner).

Now I believe that, in the list of all libraries that HiveMind Utilities
depend on globally, probably Hibernate must be the only one to have this
licensing problem. In HM Utilities, only one module explicitely depends on
Hibernate, this is hivetranse.hibernate (plus the example.hibernate module
of course). So it would still be possible to consider integration of a part
of HM Utilities into HM distribution. I am quite open on this point.

One more thing: some time ago (beginning January I believe), Howard had also
said it seemed to him a good idea to have some external repository of
general utility HM modules.

Maybe one simple way to integrate could be as simple as putting a link to
the HM Utilities SF project (or the project web home which is more
"personalized" than the generic SF web interface) from the HiveMind site.

Cheers

	Jean-Francois Poilpret, HiveMind Utilities team