hivemind-user mailing list archives

From "Jean-Francois Poilpret" <jfpoilp...@hcm.vnn.vn>
Subject Registry configuration integrity check
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:48:19 GMT
Hello,

My current experience with HiveMind (about 4 months now) has shown me that
during development time, most errors during debugging are due to
configuration problems.
We know that by default, at Registry building time, HiveMind will just log
an error when there is a mistake in configuration. This is a changeable
option: we may use the StrictErrorHandler to get exceptions right at
Registry build time.

However, this still requires us poor developers (;-)) to deploy the full
application and run it to hit problems.

I wondered if it would be possible to develop an ant task that would do the
full check of the configuration and report _all_ encountered errors and
finally fail in case there is at least one.
In this case this would be much easier to produce deployable applications
that will run smoothly at the first time.

I also remarked that not all configuration is checked at Registry build
time, HiveMind may report errors due to configuration mistakes at the time a
service implementation is constructed, here again this does not ease early
debugging of configuration problems during integration. It would be good if
the ant task described above could as well force early-load of all services
to check really the _complete_ configuration of the application.

I wondered if someone had already developed something similar, or otherwise
how do you handle this kind of problem: is everybody using the "painful" way
(deploy, test, fix, rebuild, redeploy and so on...) like I do? Or are there
some better ways to ensure that your configuration is correct?

Does the idea of an ant task as I described (or even an independent
application) make sense?

NB: I am conscious that with more integration tests, such errors can be more
easily found and fixed, but impatient people (like me) sometimes prefer to
immediately give a run to the whole application ;-)

Cheers,

	Jean-Francois