hivemind-user mailing list archives

From "Jean-Francois Poilpret" <jfpoilp...@hcm.vnn.vn>
Subject RE: Potential memory leak with Threaded model and Events listeners
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 00:34:02 GMT
No, I don't want each __created__ instance to receive notifications, I just
want each __active__ instance to receive them, and any __inactive___
instance not to receive them.
Currently with either threaded or pooled model (as far as I can see), all
created instances actually receive notifications, even when inactive. Worse,
for threaded model, inactive instances never get garbage-collected because
they are strongly referenced by the service which fire events.

For me, the expected behavior of HiveMind would be:
- when a service instance gets created (threaded) or activated (pooled),
then it should be added as a listener to the service firing events
- when a service instance gets discarded (threaded) or deactivated (pooled),
then it should be removed as a listener from the service supplying events.

NB: this description applies to the case where the event-firing service is a
singleton (my situation right now), but the behavior would/should probably
be different if that service used a different model.

Currently, the best work-around is:
- for threaded model, the listening service must implement Discardable and
remove itself from the listeners list of the event firing service, when its
threadDidDiscardService() method is called. The registration as a listener
can either be done by configuration (BuilderFactory) or in the constructor.

- for pooled model, the listening service must implement PoolManageable and
it must register itself as a listener in its XXXX methods, and unregister
itself when its XXXX() method is called. Here automatic Event registration
through BuilderFactory is useless.

These work-arounds work well, but they are not very "clean" in the sense
that this is code the end-developer has to write that HiveMind could
directly handle for him.
In addition, in the threaded situation, if we use the BuilderFactory to wire
the listener to the event supplier, then the work-around introduces some
asymmetry (registration in config, unregistration in the code), making the
use of BuilderFactory for this aspect useless.

I think before changing anything in HiveMind, we (all concerned developers)
should discuss the various situations (models for supplier/consumer:
singleton/threaded, singleton/pooled, threaded/singleton,
threaded/threaded...) and specify for each what the behavior should be, then
the actual coding can start. Should we start a new page on the WIKI?

Cheers