hivemind-user mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hivemind Hibernate integration
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:58:30 GMT
We are governed by the rules of the Apache Software Foundation.

There's questions about the legitmacy of the "weakening" of the
Hibernate license.

The hibernate JARs can not be hosted anywhere on apache.org.

No code hosted on apache.org can import code from those JARs.

The same goes for all other LGPL or GPL code.

Other licences are more compatible, such as BSD (used by OGNL) and MPL
(used by Javassist).

CVS and JIRA are certainly affected.

Wiki is a grey area that I'd rather not test.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:25:33 +0200, Holger Krug <hkrug@rationalizer.com> wrote:
> Am Do, den 21.10.2004 schrieb Howard Lewis Ship um 17:01:
> > I have not yet looked at the code, but I can say that Hibernate
> > related code can't be hosted inside the HiveMind project proper, or
> > anywhere on apache.org, because of licensing concerns.
>
> Why ? Hibernate uses a relaxed version of LGPL saying:
>
> "Using Hibernate (by importing Hibernate's public interfaces in your
> Java code), and extending Hibernate (by subclassing or implemention of
> an extension interface) is considered by the authors of Hibernate to be
> dynamic linking. Hence our interpretation of the LGPL is that the use of
> the unmodified Hibernate source does not affect the license of your
> application code." (see http://www.hibernate.org/196.html).
>
> Hence it is possible to issue code referencing Hibernate classes under
> the Apache License.
>
> Greetings,
> Holger Krug

Howard M. Lewis Ship